Hawken is a multiplayer mech combat game by Adhesive Games Ltd. & Meteor Entertainment slated for release on 12/12/12. I’m no mega mech-warrior fanboy, but I did fall in love with the genre in the 80’s by playing the pen and paper role-playing game Robotech as well as the DOS based Battletech, the amazing 1988 classic from Infocom. Even if I hadn’t had that childhood exposure, I truly believe that I would still be drawn to this game purely due to the fact that controlling a huge mechanical machine and shooting lasers is simply awesome. The video itself takes some getting used to. The constant 1st person perspective can give players a nauseous feeling after a while, especially when there is so much of the HUD in our playing field. I’m sure that after a few hours though, the limited perspective may simply add to the actual experience, and complete the immersion. Speaking of immersion, the sound effects from a few videos I’ve seen are amazing. There’s the one scene is the video above, when the player’s mech simply pushes a mini-van off of a bridge, and the eerie metal creaking and screeching simply gave me goosebumps. I’ve been signed up for the beta for a few weeks now, and still have not heard back from them…and I’m starting to get worried! I want me some Hawken!
Here’s what the makers of Hawken had to say:
- What game modes are supported? We have two unique team game modes, as well as team deathmatch and free-for-all deathmatch.
- When will it be released? Our official release date is 12/12/12, but we will have a closed beta before that time.
- What engine are you using? Hawken has been developed using the Unreal Engine from Epic Games.
- What platform is it for? Hawken will initially be released on the PC.
- How much will it cost? Hawken will be a downloadable free-to-play title. Yes, you can play for free. There will be in-game purchases that will allow greater customization and more weapon variety.
Oh, I almost forgot, while we’re talking about immersion and mechs, you should check out this amazing looking controller specifically geared towards ‘mech-heads’: the Razer Artemis for Mech Warrior. Now if they come out with a South Paw variant..I’m mosdef buying it.